As we have already mentioned birth is one of the most stressful events in our lives. The baby has to turn and twist as it squeezes through the bony pelvis, on its short but highly stimulating and potential stressful journey.
In most cases the Baby’s head has the remarkable ability to absorb these stresses, however if the birth was difficult or assisted with forceps or ventouse the baby may be experiencing some very uncomfortable stresses within its head and body. These retained compressions and stresses might lead to
- your baby feeling extra pressure when laying down.
- pressure on the nerves to the lips, cheeks and tongue might effect feeding
- tension in the diaphragm might cause trapped wind or the ability to retain stomach contents
- strain through the umbilical cord can add strain in the abdomen
- a general level of tension may leave your baby in a persistently alert state
- diffculties in relaxing and therefore sleeping
Osteopathic treatment using the cranial apporach is gentle, safe and effective for babies and children. Very specific, skilled, light pressure is applied where necessary to assist the natural ability of the body to release stresses and tension.
We have two highly trained Cranial Osteopaths working at Lower Street Clinic. A session would last approximately 40 mins, this would include a full consultation.
For further information on Cranial Osteopathy please contact the clinic on
01279 815907 www.lowerstreetclinic.co.uk
If you are not in Stansted or surrounding area please contact The Sutherland Society who will be able to give you further information and assist you in finding a Cranial Osteopath nearer to you.